Thursday, March 14, 2024

Where do I get my news?

How do we consume the news in todays society? A question that's been at the forefront of my mind for quite a while. Since the downfall of the newspaper we've seen an emergence of online 'news-blogs', ones that I have personally grown up with. As far back as I could remember, my family had never received their news from a paper, instead they would watch the news on CBS or NBC. Similar to my parents, the development of online news sources along my own growth led me to gravitate towards finding information in new places. Below is my top five list of different news outlets that I use and read up on in my day to day life.

#5 X 


The creation of social media allowed for a new type of medium for the rapid spreading of information. X (formally known as Twitter) is one site I use ever so often in hopes of learning small tidbits of news information. While it does not offer full blog-like posts it still can provide the user with a good summary of situations and events. For example, if a user while scrolling through X reads about a certain bill being passed in congress, they can use that information to research parts or other facts pertaining to said bill.  One critique about this social media platform is that it's a publicly-accessible platform. User's can just as easily spread misinformation just as fast as they could spread correct information. X, While an entertaining and easy platform to use does come with its precautions. Knowing these faults in the site I barley trust much on X without doing my own personal research first. 

#4 CNN


Focusing more on traditional news sites we have CNN. I grew up watching CNN10 in class and now this is one of my preferred news sites that I flock to. CNN began as a TV broadcast in 1980 and was also watched by my parents while I was growing up. CNN is known for being or leaning on the left side of politics. CNN posts stories from the political world through the entertainment world and is a relatively popular news site. While CNN can have its faults in its portrayal or lack of news stories based around right wing politics, it's still interesting to gather a familiarity with. 


#3 NBC NEWS

Another traditional news source I use is NBC NEWS. Once again NBC is a typically left leaning news site. I found that a lot of the places I find my news align with my political views. Like CNN, NBC NEWS is also known for beginning its journey as a broadcasting station. I remember being a kid and watching NBC NEWS early in the morning waiting for them to transition into their daily kids television. I find it almost shocking how nostalgia plays a big role in what sites I go to and what stories I click on to read. 


#2 IGN

Moving away from political news sources, I am an avid gamer in my day to day life. One source where I tend to gather my information from is IGN. This source allows me to view upcoming news about game releases, game playthroughs, and other entertainment news. But it also doesn't just involve gaming news, the site also includes opinions on upcoming media release and the effects certain media might have on the public. I can't recall how many times I have went to this site when I need help getting through a game or wanted to know when a movie or show was releasing. IGN is one of my most visited news sites because of the entertainment it provides. 

#1 YOUTUBE

For my final news source I want to discuss YouTube. While yes, I understand that this maybe a full circle moment with previous sections where I discussed my parents viewership of news from broadcast stations, I find YouTube to be one of my favorite sources for information and entertainment. After a long day of working or going to class I like to come home and watch a couple videos on differing topics from around the world. I also enjoy that this platform has space for 'commentary' channels, channels that provide insight into their own opinions on the topics they're discussing. The overall environment of YouTube is inviting and I find myself gravitating and spending a lot of my time listening to different videos provided on the platform. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog: My Techno-Relationship

Unfortunately with the rapid development of our society, technology is no longer a want but a necessity. There have been numerous times wher...